In my eyes, there are only five teams that have any chance at winning the NBA championship this season, and my opinions were expressed on April 22nd, on Blue Chip Talk. Below are the good and the bad of each of the five teams....
The Final 5:
Miami Heat (37.5%):
- The Good: The Big Three. James, Wade and Bosh are finding their roles. Last season the Heat were just beginning to find their roles, and the made it to the Finals. They are a year more experienced, and in my opinion, are the clear cut favorite to win the East.
- The Bad: Lebron James in the 4th quarter. The fact that Lebron still gets stiff when the game is on the line really scares me. In a grueling and lengthy NBA playoffs, Lebron must finally step up and win a game for Miami.
Oklahoma City Thunder (37.5%):
- The Good: Defense. You can talk all you want about OKC's scoring capabilities with Durant and Westbrook, but I'm looking at the defense. Serge Ibaka is long and will make opposing teams alter their shots. Combine Ibaka with the big and tough Kendrick Perkins on the defensive end and this team is solid all around.
- The Bad: James Harden's head injury. This couldn't have happened at a worse time. This is clearly Harden's break out season, and to suffer a head injury just days before the playoffs start is trouble. He is listed as day-to-day, but any lingering affects, could spell trouble for OKC.
San Antonio Spurs (10%):
- The Good: Rest. Last year the Spurs were one and done in the playoffs after a long 82 game season. This years shortened season combined with head coach Gregg Popovich's resting of the old folk, could spell a deep run in this season's playoffs.
-The Bad: Old legs. Rest aside Tim Duncan turns 36 tomorrow, Tony Parker turns 30 in May, and Manu Ginobili just can seem to stay healthy for a long period of time. It's been a ton of miles for this group, and 5 years since they've hoisted the trophy.
Chicago Bulls (10%):
- The Good: Team Defense. Chicago hold the NBA's top defense and leads the league in rebound deferential. A healthy MVP in Derrick Rose combined with this defense could bring a title back to the Windy City.
- The Bad: Derrick Rose's injuries. Groin, back, foot/ankle. The injuries have piled up this season, and while the team has stayed the course with out him during the regular season, if Rose isn't healthy for the entire playoffs, the Bulls won't win it all.
Los Angeles Lakers (5%):
The Good: Experience. Kobe Bryant, Pao Gasol, and Andrew Bynum have been to the Finals and back…twice (09' and 10'). It would be hard to find a team that would want to match-up agains these three come post season.
The Bad: Andrew Bynum and Metta World Peace. These two are head cases. Bynum gets upset when the coach tells him not to shoot three pointers. Bynum has made 1 three pointer in his 7 year career. World Peace might not even get on the court this playoffs after he was ejected for elbowing James Harden. Metta just doesn't get it.
Follow me at @gaynorguarante or @bluechipblog